Sunday 28 July 2013

the aftermath


Not a stitch in sight ! - sorry,

Friday - left work on Tuesday!!! - 20 years of got-to-keep clutter has come home with me- not least 4 mannequins plus Gwendoline the Stockman mini figure and Millicent the 1960s milliner's model. Plus countless bags of really interesting books, collections of bits, examples and resources. Can just about move.

 this is the tidy version...

Need to go back to work to earn enough to get a bigger house so that I can leave again...



alien cat invader- claims ownership of best spot in the garden
So what has been achieved – genuine domestic chaos, now on facebook (help!), had blood test, found the local breast cancer ward  would like some bags made (see The Sewing Forum), sent card and pressie, followed more crochet tutorials on youtube- I now know where I'm going wrong, designed and ordered promotional postcards, got very confused by HMRC, got insurance quotes. Add weeding, reading about Caroline of Brunswick and chasing bumble bees out of the house. Add weeding.

Doesn't look too bad a list, but can not compete with the to do one.



Desperate for magic words to undo the curse of marestails, to make my honeylocust tree happy and healthy again, to make all hills downhill when cycling, to stop my sis posting me about hot tubs, sunshine, leisure time.



I hope to be making again soon – first need to get organised  and will not start until the house is sorted, hedge done, understanding of HMRC advice is achieved and at least 2 more venues checked out – I'm intending to run some drawing classes in the Autumn – you are all invited- bit of a major round trip for some!




 Temporary storage, and look! Carpet!!

Thinking ahead -I'm still in love with the detailing on the pelisse or spencer sleeve heads – it makes some of the rouleau decoration on the 1820s dresses seem rather heavy. There are so many ideas out there to be explored. There is the full scale spencer to do of course -  I must book onto some sewing classes to freshen up the skills again. It may not directly help with these costumes but all experience of handling and working with fabric, techniques and approaches would be welcome. I hate making for me. I can blame the parents for not being taller but all the rest is down to happy self indulgence.
met museum


Sunday – I'm winning – still squeezing too much stuff into too little space but the making more mess before tidying away phase might be over. I can see carpet! The wool stash is stowed, the fabric stash is either waiting to be washed or sorted and away. All but a few of the Art bits are behaving, some defy organisation – the watercolour things keep breaking ranks and invade various rooms and cupboards, I think they breed. There is still a handful of bags to go through but the worst is over.



A lot of chucking out, hoovering, even dusting, and final putting away and I'll be back in control.



Next test is to remember where I put everything.





Potential to dos? Or would it be wise to shift garment and have a go at another dress? I will have to sit down to ponder this...... with a coffee.... and something to keep the coffee company.  Just don't find the dresses as exciting at the moment... but it would be a different challenge .... this may be a more than one coffee question.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment