Sunday 13 October 2013


Fisher women of Yorkshire - a less gothic version of Whitby.
 


Stephen Friend has loaned  a costume to me, made for the "Women's Voices" project by York St John University. It was based on Frank Sutcliffe's photographs of the 'fisher folk' on the east coast around the 1890s. It is a jacket and skirt, worn over a bright red petticoat, with heavy boots and large shawl. It is  a practical outfit of drab striped fabric, rather like a soft cotton ticking. The jacket style is conservative, fitted with two darts each side and boned. It has centre front opening with 12 self covered buttons, high neck with a small simple folded stand collar and tapers to a v at the front and centre back hems. The shoulder seams are set a little back from the top of the shoulder and the back has curving seams from the armhole to the hem.  The sleeves are long, gathered onto  unstiffened, buttoned cuffs. The bodice is lined, except the sleeves, the boning inside  the lining under the lower buttons and darts, and mounted on top of the under arm seam and lower centre back line. These have a narrow cotton casing. The skirt is quite full, gathered onto a waistband with a flat centre front section. It is made in three parts, with a centre back seam, open at the top and closed with a mother of pearl button on the waistband, and a side seam under the bust dart.  There are several images showing woman wearing similar skirts, some with rows of pleating or deep frills around the hem, most with large aprons, often large shawls, and in various states of repair. The skirts seem to be relatively short, well clear of the ground showing the stout leather boots, a far cry from the delicate Regency styles I've been making recently (can't image these ladies being held up as aspirational fashionistas in a ladies' periodical). From the look of some in the photographs clothes were worn until worn out, remade and worn again.(take a look at the photo of Polly/Fanny (ref 24-29 in the Sutcliffe gallery) and see the repaired and tattered state of her under layers)
 




I'm using this as a practice exercise for working from an extant garment. A page of notes, diagrams and images was first, looking for seams, pattern shapes and construction details. These should have been done to scale but ... but at least I did pay attention to proportion and placement, spent longest on colour matching! I saw this as a 'getting to know you' phase. The seam lines and darts were transferred onto long suffering Gwendoline and then pattern pieces made to fit. Trying to find a suitable fabric was not a happy morning, could have made it in plenty of Halloween spiders or Christmas holly sprigs but a simple stripe? Ticking seems to be endangered species, so much is quilting or crafting cotton and I object to insanely cavorting teddy bears in waistcoats. I did find one that was suitable-ish, but it was a delightful lightweight wool herringbone at £36 per yard – oops.

I have used a compromise fabric from the stash – a blue cotton pinstripe, a roll end of shirting, not beautiful, a lighter weight and not as dense, but at least I'll be happy re-cutting pieces if/when I go wrong.

The pieces are cut and ready to assemble, and there it stopped – streaming head cold has claimed another victim. I tried to continue making but having put the dart seam allowance to the outside three times in a row- quite a feat in itself – I am giving up until the head clears and the eyeballs fit their sockets again.

I hate colds.

I really hate colds.




I have tried to paint from Sutcliffe's photographs inbetween sneezes but with little success. I like the concentration on the seated figure but the standing figure is one that I guess was used as inspiration for the costume, so I've altered some details to match the made skirt. A lot of the images show the women knitting, she is meant to be holding a skein of wool for the other to wind or work. Unfortunately in my version she seems to be having an out of body experience!  I haven't found a late Victorian portrait genre that I find inspirationally different from the earlier styles. That is this afternoon's job, BBCpaintings and Wikipaintings be warned, as long as I can stay awake.



Hopefully by next week the self pity will have passed, the cold will be vanquished. Doing 1890s clothing means that machine sewing is the way to go, so this garment should be quicker than the previous ones apart from the fact that I'm trying to match inside and out. The jacket should be in the process of finishing and the skirt blocked out ready to work by the time I post again.


Many happy sneezes of the day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment