Sunday 12 May 2013

spencer portrait... and oops.

as promised the last vision of the Purple Regency Spencer With The Wrong Buttons ( must find an easier name for it) as  a painting.  I tried and failed to ignore that sketch of Jane Austen, I find her expression.... disconcerting.
 Lacking my own model  I've borrowed from several 1800/1810 portraits and fashion plates for style and pose. An oil sketch by Raeburn was the start - the pose is so school photograph it amused me. He looked up at his model but mine seemed all chin so I levelled the gaze but kept the leaning forward on a box idea. The quarter turn presents the shoulder which is where I wanted the focus to be.

 

The initial drawing has emerged looking very Renaissance - the exaggeration of the neck, the clothing detail- was seriously tempted to add a white ferret at this stage.  It doesn't have the snooty expression yet, looks more sulky. The initial watercolour has changed it - the face is more reserved, worried and upright  but alot more is needed on the clothing





Regency spencer portrait
I've tried to keep the face light and minimal - she looks a little upset by this but the purpose was always to show the clothing.


 I do like how the clothing detail worked out - the lawn and lace looks lighter in texture and weight than the silk, and that has appropriate body and sheen.
 Spot the big mistake? THE REALLY BIG MISTAKE. The toooo big to worry about, much too big mistake. Such a stupid thing to do!
Pretend it didn't happen, fussing would only draw attention to it.

Could I add a skirt to the spencer and call it a pelisse?

Back to sewing for next time. It hurts more but at least I can unpick.









No comments:

Post a Comment